THIS SUNDAY IN WORSHIP
Please join us in worship on Sunday as Pastor Jonathan shares with us his message entitled “Four Letter Words”. The scripture lesson is 1John 2:1-11.
We have postponed Homecoming due to Covid-19 with the hopes that we can better celebrate in our usual way on All Saints Sunday, November 7th.
The Staff Parish Relations Committee is sponsoring a Love Offering that began on Sunday, September 19, 2021 and is ending today, October 10, 2021, in memory of Wayne Johnson and to help offset expenses incurred by his extended illness and loss of income.
Donations should be designated by indicating Love Offering on the subject line of your check and mailed to the church or dropped in the collection basket during Worship Services.
FALL FESTIVAL/TRICK OR TRUNK EVENT
The Children’s Ministry Committee is sponsoring this year’s Fall Festival on Sunday, October 24th from 3:00pm to 6:00pm. Please use the following link if you can volunteer to help in an area of the event or have a “trunk” for Trick or Trunk. To sign up go to: Fall Festival 10/24 or contact Kari Howell at email@example.com or (828) 217-0287. We are in need of folks to sign up to help with the event and also to open their trunks for Trunk or Treat. Any donations of candy or goodies for the event can be dropped by the church office.
UPPER ROOMS AVAILABLE
The new Upper Rooms have arrived and are available in the hallway outside the office, the Narthex and at the Pavilion.
Our annual BBQ will be held on Saturday, October 23rd. This year, in order to promote safety for all involved, we will be selling pounds only for take-out. To pre-order and be assured to receive all you want, please call Barbara Sigmon at 704-483-2075. The cost is $10.00/pound.
SPECIAL OFFERING FOR RELIEF EFFORTS IN WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA
Most of us watched the news footage of the deaths and destruction caused by flooding in Canton, Clyde, and Cruso areas of Haywood County because of the aftermath of Tropical Storm Fred the last week of August. Recovery work continues and they need our help. According to the North Carolina Department of Safety, recovery from Tropical Storm Fred will likely be a three to four-year process. Bishop Ken Carter has asked the churches in the Western North Carolina Conference to ask their members for donations to help with the support of a local person who will assist our missional network with the long-term response and provide support for mission teams in the coming years to help rebuild this area. If you can give an extra financial gift over the next few weeks, we will be collecting these and sending them on to the Conference Office for this special relief project. Please designate by indicating “Mountain Flood Relief” on the subject line of your check and they can be collected during the worship services, or you can mail them to the church office.
PASTOR APPRECIATION MONTH
As we know, October is Pastor Appreciation Month. We are blessed to have Pastor Jonathan and his family with us since July and to have Pastor Grady as our Pastor Emeritus. The following is shared for anyone who may be looking for suggestions on “what/how to share”.
27 Ways To Bless Your Pastor During Pastor Appreciation Month
October is Pastor Appreciation Month, which is a great opportunity for church members to bless their pastors.
Here are 27 simple ways you can honor your pastor(s) in October, or anytime of the year.
1. Write a note with encouraging feedback about his sermon.
2. Be prepared to resuscitate him after #1.
3. Set out a gift basket in the church lobby for members to leave notes and gifts.
4. Mow the pastor’s lawn when his family is on vacation or ministry leave.
5. Give a gift card to a favorite restaurant.
6. Provide creative childcare for a date night.
7. Ask your pastor how you can specifically pray for his family.
8. Deliver a homemade dessert/meal to his home or office.
9. Arrange and purchase a couple’s retreat somewhere fun.
10. Give a brief word of affirmation and prayer on a Sunday morning.
11. Include the pastor’s family’s photo in an October bulletin.
12. Provide for and encourage time off for vacations.?
13. Take your pastor out for a meal and talk about his life, not ministry.
14. Loan out your favorite vacation spot (cabin, camper, time-share).
15. Support your pastor as he ministers outside your church.
16. Encourage at least one day of Sabbath rest each week.
17. Care for your pastor’s health by sponsoring a health club membership.
18. Take your pastor somewhere fun: sporting event, concert, hunting, etc.
19. Specifically share how God has used him to challenge, enrich, and encourage your walk with Jesus.
20. Provide a generous salary, insurance, and retirement.
21. Allow your pastor’s wife to “be herself” and find her own ministry.
22. Financially support your pastor and spouse as they attend marriage-strengthening events.
23. Publicly support your pastor’s involvement in missions.
24. Remember birthdays with a personal card or on social media. ?
25. Initiate a sabbatical for every 5-7 years of ministry? at your church.
26. Send a gift card to your pastor’s kids.
27. Give unused sports or concert tickets to your pastor’s family.
Hopefully these ideas will help to prime the pastor appreciation pump in your church. Know that your pastor will be genuinely grateful for anything you do.
Now we ask you, brothers and sisters, to give recognition to those who labor among you and lead you in the Lord and admonish you, and to regard them very highly in love because of their work. Be at peace among yourselves. (1 Thessalonians 5:12-13)
ON THE CALENDAR
Sunday, October 10
8:30am Early Worship Service
9:45am Sunday School
11:00am Late Worship Service
1:00pm Private Event (Pavilion)
4:30pm MtP Youth
Monday, October 11
6:00pm Travel Ball Team Practice
6:30pm Girl Scouts
Tuesday, October 12
1:00pm Janie Killian Circle
6:45pm Church League Softball
7:00pm Boy Scouts
Wednesday, October 13
9:30am Prayer Team
7:00pm Chancel Choir
Thursday, October 14
6:00pm Travel Ball Team Practice
Private Meeting (Alex Sigmon Room)